What is CENLED?
The Centre for Local Economic Development (CENLED) is a national centre based at the University of Johannesburg (UJ). The centre was established in 2008 with the main objective of promoting excellence among aspiring and experienced Local Economic Development (LED) practitioners.
The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) appointed CENLED to implement a capacity building programme for universities to enable them to assist municipalities with economic development. With this in mind, CENLED brought together South African universities with expertise in local economic development-related learning areas to develop a learning programme and professionalise the LED career in South Africa.
The purpose and objective of the capacity building programme for economic development is to broaden and deepen the pool of skills required to support economic development primarily at local government.
About the Centre for Local Economic Development
CENLED’s mission is to:
- Provide leadership and excellence in LED;
- Promote the placement of qualified people in the field of Local and Community Economic Development;
- Promote LED as a distinct, recognised, and self-governing profession;
- Build partnerships with communities; and
- Contribute to South Africa’s and Africa’s economic well-being.