Dr. Marius Venter is the founder and Director of the Centre for Local /Economic Development (CENLED) based at the University of Johannesburg. The main aim is to professionalise the careers of persons working in Economic Development. CENLED aims to:
- Provide leadership and excellence in Local Economic Development;
- Promote the placement of qualified people in the field of Local and Community Economic Development;
- Promote Local Economic Development as a distinct, recognised, and self-governing profession;
- Build partnerships with communities; and
- Contribute to South Africa’s and Africa’s economic well-being.
Previously he was the Chief Executive Officer: Overstrand Local Economic Development Agency (OLEDA). OLEDA was a private company owned by the Overstrand Municipality which main objective was to implement economic development projects.
Dr. Venter worked for the City of Joburg for 22 years as Head of the Transport Department’s Training Centre, Deputy Director: Privatisation, Deputy Director: Informal Trade, Deputy Director: Johannesburg Fresh Produce Market and Executive Director: Local Economic Development. He was the founder of the Centre for Entrepreneurship Education and Development SA, which is currently known as “The Business Place” and the “Real Enterprise Development” Centres assisting entrepreneurs to establish businesses.
B-Com. (Law), 1983, B-Com. Hons. (Economics); M-Com. (Economics); D-Com. (Economics).